Your roof’s ventilation system plays an important role in keeping your home at the right temperature, all year round. Without proper roof ventilation, musty air that’s full of contaminants can become trapped within the confines of your home and move throughout your home. Hiring a company that provides professional roof repair and maintenance can help you identify potential air flow problems in your home and offer you the appropriate solutions if your roof ventilation needs to be repaired.
Here’s what you need to know.
What Is Attic Ventilation?
Science teaches us that cold air is a lot denser than hot air. As a result, cold air pushes hot air upwards, causing it to rise naturally. Your attic ventilation system is designed with this basic scientific principle in mind. Two types of vents are used to filter the air that enters into your attic:
- Intake vents, which are located at the lowest point of your roof directly beneath the eaves and serve as an entry point for cold air.
- Hot air exhaust vents, which are located at the peak of the roof and serve as an exit point for hot air.
As a homeowner, you probably don’t give much thought to your attic or roofing system unless there’s something wrong with them and you need roof ventilation repair. Generally speaking, feeling a draft or air movement throughout your home when the windows are closed is a bad thing. But no air movement is worse.
Air ventilation in your attic can actually improve the air quality and movement throughout the rest of your home. It can also help lower your heating and cooling bill by minimizing your energy consumption levels, which makes for a better functioning and more sustainable home.
Why Proper Attic Ventilation Is Important to Sustain Residential Roof Repair and Maintenance
If you’ve recently worked with a roofing service in Toronto, you’ll want to do everything in your power to sustain your newly installed or repaired roofing system. The first step is to make sure that you have proper attic ventilation. Blockages in your attic ventilation can lead to a number of problems with your roofing system, including
- Allowing hot air exposure to distort the sheathing, which causes shingles to deteriorate faster
- Allowing water to penetrate and collect under the shingles, which damages the insulation and erodes the roof structure
- Allows for the formation of ice dams
Benefits of Proper Attic Ventilation
- Protects your roof structure
- Extends the lifespan of your roof by reducing the need for costly residential roof repairs
- Keeps your attic warm in the winter and cool in the summer
- Lowers energy costs by preventing hot and cold air infiltration/exfiltration
- Prevents ice dams from forming on your roof
- Allows for more even and efficient air flow throughout your home
- Prevents airborne contaminants from entering your home through small cracks and crevices
Roof Ventilation Repair and Roofing Services in Toronto
Right Choice Roofing & Repair offers a number of professional roof repair and maintenance services for residential property owners all across Toronto and the GTA. We also provide roof ventilation repair and installation services. With over a decade of roofing installation and repair experience under our belts, you can trust that you’re making the right choice with Right Choice Roofing & Repair. Contact us today to get a quote.